Sakenan, the Temple at Turtle Island Bali
Serangan Island, better known as Turtle Island, is a 379 hectares island located just 250 metres off the southeast coast of Bali. The size of the island was 112 hectares before the reclamation took place in the late 90's which included a road project connecting the island to Bali. The beach of the island is one of the preferred points to practice surfing. Serangan Island is also famous for the Balinese people as the location of Sakenan Temple, one of the most visited temples for religious purposes on the southern part of Bali.
According to the history, Sakenan temple was built by Mpu Kuturan in the 10th century. He was a priest from Majapahit Kingdom who came to Bali before the fall of the Majapahit Empire. The temple consists of two separate compounds, the big one has been renovated but the stone fence is untouched and the small one is the heritage of the past. The old construction of the temple was built using limestone and red coral. In the temple's courtyard there are two huge and tall trees wearing black and white checked fabric because the trees are considered as the residences of the spirits that guard the temple.
In the evening people come for fishing on the mangrove beach at the temple side. Hundreds devotees from all over Bali visit the temple on Kuningan Day because on the same day is also the day of the temple's anniversary. Kuningan is the day devoted to Vishnu who brings prosperity to the world. To the Balinese Hindu, the day of Kuningan is a time for commemoration because their ancestors return to the sky after dwelling in the Earth.
Sakenan Temple on Map
Other Temples in Bali
- Batukaru Temple, Haven for The Soul in Bali
- Besakih, the Mother Temple in Bali
- Dalem Ped, a Temple Built on Dry Limestone Island
- Goa Lawah, a Temple in a Bat Cave
- Gunung Kawi Temple, Carvings in the Mountain
- Exquisite Natural Painting Pampers the Eyes in Lempuyang Luhur
- Melanting Temple, Perfect Atmosphere to Meditate
- Petitenget, Temple with Golden Sandy Beach in Bali
- Rambut Siwi Temple, the Biggest Temple in West Bali
- Pulaki, Temple with Spectacular Views in North Bali
- Taman Ayun, Temple with Beautiful Garden in Bali
- Tanah Lot, a Holy Atmosphere Temple on the Rocky Island
- Strong Sacral Ambience in Ulun Danu Batur Temple
- Ulun Danu Beratan, the Temple on the Lake
- Uluwatu, Temple in Tip of Coral Reef